Thursday, August 23, 2012

I like to move it, move it...I like to move it!

In an ode to Sex & the City, I've become reacquainted with my "secret single behavior" - dancing. Okay, just dancing doesn't sound so bad and not anything to do secretly but if you saw how I do it you would definitely agree that it should be spared from anyone else's eyes. Let's get this straight though, I may be white but I DO have moves. The fact that I dance around in my Hot Pants and a sports bra is the uncute part, at least for now. (Look for future posts about Hot Pants, where Crystal and I will weigh in on our results.)

This revert to dancing was unplanned but oh so welcomed. I've been setting my alarm every morning for 5:30 a.m. to do some sort of workout. This morning was the first time I actually got out of bed when the alarm went off, instead of hitting snooze. I wasn't too sure what to do so I went to my go-to inspiration for almost everything - Pinterest. As I was scrolling through the pins, I decided I could use a little music to get me in the mood. At 5:30 in the morning, the ability to play music isn't available for a mother of a two year old (or any mother for that matter), so I put on my iPod. The first song that came on my shuffle setting was "The Light" by Common and before I knew it I was off the computer and in the living room bopping around. I could feel myself smiling inside. It didn't feel like a workout but guess what? By the end of the song, I was sweating and breathing heavier.

I don't know about you but when I dance and know no one is looking, I do moves I would never do otherwise. I use my whole body, including my arms. (You know that never happens in public. Flailing arms is the first sign of a bad dancer and calls the most attention.)

Playlist
"The Light" Live Version by Common, featuring Erykah Badu
"Just Dance" by Lady Gaga
"Love on Top" by Beyonce
"Bootilicious" by Destiny's Child
"The Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga
"Run the World (Girls)" by Beyonce - Listened to this song twice, I still needed to practice my Beyonce moves.
Total Dance Time: 25 minutes

My original workout time was only going to be 15 minutes. I still had to put my lunch together and make coffee, but it turned into an all morning thing! Even though I eventually started getting ready for work, I left the tunes on and when my daughter woke up I put the iPod on a speaker. Growing up, I always listened to the radio while getting ready but when I became a mother, the morning routine changed. After two years, I've finally taken my mornings back. It greatly changed the way my day went as well. Imagine how different the world would be if everyone danced in the morning.

Perhaps dancing isn't your thing, but I challenge you to find a physical activity that makes you smile inside. Make sure it isn't anything that you feel forced to do. Being active doesn't have to be a chore. It can be enjoyable and shift your mood instantly. Go ahead, do what makes you happy. You deserve it!

- Nikki



No comments:

Post a Comment